EVENT REPORT: 2024 New Year Seminar and Kagamibiraki
The Ryu 2024 New Year Seminar and Kagamibiraki were held in Urayasu on Monday the 8th of January.
Now that the pandemic is over, these events are back to being regular events on the Ryu calendar. The seminar, the kagamibiraki and the new year party are co-hosted by the Ryu All Japan Aikido Federation and NPO Aikido Ryu but are also open to all RWAF dojo representatives and members. We hope that in future more RWAF dojos will participate, with greater cooperation between the RJAF and the RWAF.
Over 70 students from Ryu-affiliated dojos around Japan attended training at Chuo Budokan. The theme of the seminar was working on releasing all the strength in the upper body and focusing power in the center. Through various basic techniques, students practised performing all movements from the center and a strong, stable lower body. It was a great morning of training, getting everyone energised for the year ahead!
After the seminar, students changed and headed to Ryu Headquarters Dojo for the Kagamibiraki ceremony and New Year party. The Kagamibiraki was attended by over 80 people, including students and their friends and families. The ceremony started with new year greetings and a demonstration by Ando Shihan. This was followed by the presentation of high rank dan certificates.
Those who received certificates were:
- 7th Dan – Stephen Ohlman (Canada.) Stephen Ohlman also received the official title of Shihan in Aikido.
- 7th Dan – Hotta Terumasa (Japan.) Hotta Terumasa also received the official title of Shihan in Aikido.
- 7th Dan – Mitsuhashi Akira (Japan.) Mitsuhashi Akira also received the official title of Shihan in Aikido.
- 6th Dan – Jurij Kerpan (Czechia.) Jurij Kerpan also received the official title of Shihan in Aikido.
- 6th Dan – Yoshida Mitsunobu (Japan.) Yoshida Mitsunobu also received the official title of Shihan in Aikido.
- 6th Dan – Hirosei Kouji (Japan.)
- 6th Dan – Murakawa Masahiro (Japan.)
- 6th Dan – Katagiri Misato (Japan.) Katagiri Misato also received the official title of Shihan in Aikido.
- 5th Dan – Tabata Fumiaki (Japan.)
- 5th Dan – Alexandre Mello (Brazil.)
- 5th Dan – Dmitry Filyunkin (Russia.)
- 5th Dan – Ishikawa Yukio (Japan.)
- 5th Dan – Sato Junya (Japan.)
Watch the Kagamibiraki ceremony LIVE stream on YouTube:
After the presentation of the certificates, a New Year party was held. Students and instructors from Ryu-affiliate dojos around the country had the rare opportunity to relax and chat. Representatives from Ryu-affiliate dojos also had the chance to give brief reports on the activities of their dojos over the previous year and their plans for the year ahead.
Thank you again to everyone who attended the seminar and the Kagamibiraki. Wishing everyone a great year ahead!